Johnsonville Smoked Sausage Lentil Soup
Delicious. I substituted the lentils for two 14 oz cans of black beans (rinsed) and it came out so delicious. I was trying to find a recipe for soup that I could use my spicy Johnsonville sausage that we love so much, and I am very pleased with the outcome. Great for these cold Autumn days in Chicago! — Leslie
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Premium Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounce) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. When oil is shimmering, add sausage slices. Saute until well-browned on both sides, stirring only occasionally. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and place pan back on heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrot and celery. Saute until onion is translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add spices, cook one minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Using a hand blender (or regular blender in batches), puree soup until it reaches desired consistency. Add sausage slices and simmer for five more minutes until sausage is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls garnished with a drizzle of crème fraiche or sour cream and finely diced celery.