Tailgate Throwdown Finalists Take the Stage
- Brat & Kraut Chili: A Fan Favorite WinnerJohn P. from Texas collected the most online votes among 2,600 cast in the Tailgate Throwdown recipe contest sponsored by Johnsonville.
- Tailgate Throwdown Recipe FinalistChristian Henshaw from Leavenworth, Kansas, is one of two finalists heading to Atlanta for the Tailgate Throwdown recipe title on Dec. 7..
- Tailgate Throwdown Recipe FinalistSherri Williams from Clearwater, Fla. is a finalist with her Apple Bacon Man-Eater Brats.
- Tailgate Throwdown LogoJohnsonville invites SEC fans and tailgaters to submit their best sausage-inspired tailgate recipe before Nov. 5 for a chance to compete live in Atlanta and attend the SEC Championship game.
- Shaun AlexanderShaun Alexander - former Alabama and NFL running back - will serve as a judge for the Tailgate Throwdown recipe contest.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Sherri's Man-Eater Apple Bacon Brats with Truffle Sauce is prepared for the judges.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Christian's Blindside Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Brats are ready for the judges to taste test.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019The Tailgate Throwdown champion meat belt!
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Tailgate Throwdown champ Christian poses with her sous chef and Johnsonville grillmaster Jay.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Shaun Alexander (left) joins the Stick to Football podcast team after the Tailgate Throwdown in Atlanta.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Former NFL running back and SEC legend Shaun Alexander holds the Tailgate Throwdown championship belt before awarding it to Christian.
- Tailgate Throwdown 2019Contestant finalists Sherri W. (left) and Christian H. are all smiles after their 30-minute competition, with Christian's Blindside Bacon Smoked Brats taking home the title.
Two SEC Fans Battle for the Johnsonville’s Tailgate Throwdown Champion Title in Atlanta
Sheboygan Falls, Wis. – Two Tiger fans – but from two different SEC schools – took the stage for the final Johnsonville Tailgate Recipe Throwdown hours before the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta, on Sat., Dec. 7.
In a 2-1 vote, Missouri fan Christian Henshaw took home the championship sausage belt with her Blindside Sweet & Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Brats. She competed against LSU fan Sherri Williams who had also advanced as finalist in the 2019 Johnsonville Tailgate Throwdown recipe contest held in October. A panel of Johnsonville judges deemed their recipes the best among 31 eligible entries and sent the two finalists to Atlanta to prepare their sausage recipes in a head-to-head cook-off for school bragging rights, championship game tickets and the title of Johnsonville Tailgate Throwdown Champion.
The final throwdown took place at 10:30 am ET in front of the Mercedez-Benz Stadium, host of the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta.
Christian Henshaw of Leavenworth, Kansas, described her Blindside Sweet & Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Brats as one that features an “out-of-the-pocket experience with a caramelized sweetness and savory smokiness. Then you’re ‘blind-sided’ by that spicy kick you didn’t even see coming!”
Sherri Williams of Crestview, Florida, used Johnsonville’s Original Brats as the star in her Apple Bacon Man-Eater Brats with Truffle Hot Sauce recipe, but says the black truffle hot sauce adds the extra point of flavor in this handheld delight.
Joining Johnsonville as the official Tailgate Throwdown judges were: legendary SEC running back, former NFL player and grill master, Shaun Alexander; American Cornhole League Pro Trevor Morris; and Bleacher Report’s Stick to Football podcast host Mello.
“There’s no match when it comes to tailgates in the SEC,” said Alexander. “Each school has its own original foods and flavors, but no southern tailgate is complete without sausage. Johnsonville and I are on a mission to declare once and for all who has the best sausage recipe in the Southeast.”
Ultimate Fan Favorite Winner:
John P. of Texas won the title of “Ultimate Fan Favorite” in the Tailgate Throwdown contest, with his Beer Brat & Sauerkraut Chili recipe capturing the most votes out of 2,600 cast. John won a prize package valued at $450 that includes: a one-year supply of sausage, a Sizzling Sausage Grill, an official Johnsonville cornhole board set and Johnsonville swag pack.
About Johnsonville, LLC
Wisconsin-based Johnsonville is the No. 1 national brand of brats, Italian sausage, smoked-cooked links and fresh breakfast sausage links, and the official sausage of the SEC. Johnsonville employs approximately 2,000 members. Each member takes ownership of product quality to ensure the excellence and “Big Flavor” of Johnsonville. Founded in 1945 by the late Ralph F. and Alice Stayer, the company remains privately owned today.
For additional Johnsonville company information, the latest recipes, contests and the Big Taste Grill tour schedule, visit www.johnsonville.com.