Zesty Sausage and Potato Skillet Dinner
Great way to get those extra veggies in a meal!. My husband does not like green peppers, but he will tolerate red, orange and yellow peppers which I already had on hand. I had some extra marinara sauce on hand and used half marinara, half salsa in the recipe. Used my own mashed potatoes that I thawed from the freezer. Topped it with shredded cheddar cheese. Served with fruit salad and a couple of slices of garlic bread. My husband told me multiple times that the meal was really good and he had seconds. There was enough left over for him to take for lunch. There was a surprising amount of flavor in this recipe considering the number of ingredients and the amount of time it took to prepare. It's nice to experiment with a new recipe and have it turn out so well. I think it would taste very good on diced, roasted potatoes or quinoa as well. Thanks for the new recipe that we can add to our family favorites. — Sandy Scherzinger
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups Idaho Spuds Signature Potato Bits
- ZESTY SAUSAGE:
- 1 package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Premium Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat water, milk, butter and salt until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in Potato Bits mashed potatoes until moistened. Let stand about 30 seconds or until liquid is absorbed; whip with a fork. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, brown sausage in oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Add peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add salsa and continue to cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve over potatoes.