Wild Rice, Sausage and Sage Stuffing
About this recipe
What do you get when you pair the rich, woodsy flavor of mushrooms with the nutty bite of wild rice? Stuffing perfection, of course. But just to make this dish completely irresistible, we added in some Johnsonville Original Bratwurst with its secret blend of spices. This recipe will get you counting down the days to Thanksgiving – this year and next!
- 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Original Bratwurst
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 1/3 cups small mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Decase and add sausage, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and fully cooked through, approx. 8 - 10 minutes. Place cooked sausage on paper towel lined sheet and let cool.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, approx. 8 minutes. Stir in wild rice. Add broth, sage, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, cooking for 25 minutes.
- In same pot, stir in basmati rice, cover and continue to cook until both rices are tender; approx 20 minutes. Remove from heat, remove bay leaves, and stir in cooked sausage and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Transfer rice mixture to butter casserole dish and bake until heated through and browned; approx. 20 minutes.