Whiskey Sausage Apple Stuffing
About this recipe
Okay, so we called it Whiskey Sausage Apple Stuffing, but this Thanksgiving Dinner winner has so much more going for it. Raisins, pecans, fresh sage and cornbread – oh, and Johnsonville All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage – it just keeps on getting better. In fact, this stuffing superstar could be the biggest crowd pleaser around.
- 1 package (13.23 ounces/375 g) JOHNSONVILLE® All Natural Fresh Italian MILD Ground Sausage
- 8 cups cornbread stuffing
- 4 cups diced apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- Prep cornbread stuffing using your favourite recipe.
- In a bowl, mix together apples, raisins, apple juice, nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, cinnamon, sage, salt, butter, and whiskey. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage meat and cook, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and fully cooked through, approx. 8 - 10 minutes. Place cooked sausage on paper towel lined sheet and let cool.
- In a second bowl, add cooked chunked sausage, cornbread stuffing, and pecans; mix together.
- Spoon apple-raisin mixture over cornbread and sausage mixture. Mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a non-stick dish. Bake uncovered at 400°F for 35 - 45 minutes or until set and top crusted.