Vintner's Red Wine Sausage Bath
About this recipe
People think that red wine is good for the body, but we know that it does wonders for Johnsonville Italian Sausage. Try this bath when you want to class up your meal even more.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 shallots or small onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 packages (19 ounces each) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 large (12-inch x 9-inch) heavy-duty disposable foil pan
- Preheat grill to medium-low.
- Place a large heavy-duty disposable foil pan on the grill; add bacon. Cook bacon until crisp, stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, shallots and garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- Add the wine, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add sausage and cover pan with foil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into sausage reads 160°F.
- Remove sausage from the pan. Grill links until browned; return to pan.
- Discard thyme and bay leaves.
- Cover pan and keep warm.