Touchdown Italian Sausage Chili
Perfect. Everyone always loves this one. However, I skip the olives and sherry. Sometimes I've substituted another can of Italian style tomatoes for the paste for a thinner, less tomato-ey chili. Other times, I've kept the paste and just added another can of the Italian to make it go a little further. Everytime, I've made it at least the day before to ensure a good blend of the flavors. I can see where, if you make it the day of, it could be a little bit too much just tomato flavor. Everytime I've made this, it's been a crowd favorite. — TheBluePolo
- 1 pkg. (19 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian Sausage Links
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking cocoa
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper
- Grill Italian sausage according to package directions; cut into half moon slices and set aside.
- In a soup kettle, sauté the onion, celery, sweet peppers and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add sausage and the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.