Touchdown Italian Sausage Chili
POTLUCK SAUSAGE CHILI. So I only had half the ingredients this recipe called for so I made some substitutions!! Added chickpeas, orange peppers, and fresh tomatoes (sub for one can of diced tomatoes). I added an extra can of red kidney beans. MOST IMPORTANT - I removed the castings from the sausage and cut/crumbled it to make it stretch! Sooooo tasty!! A little hot sauce and pepper jack cheese didn't hurt either!! — Dan W.
- 1 package Johnsonville® Fresh Italian Mild or Hot Sausage Links
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Grill sausage on the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Grill (or your favorite cooking method). Let cool slightly; cut into half moon slices and set aside.
- In a soup kettle, sauté the onion, celery, sweet peppers and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add sausage and the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.