Toasty Sausage Egg Sandwich
About this recipe
This portable meal is a great way to experience the joys of Johnsonville. What once was a simple egg and toast sandwich becomes a fantastic culinary treat with the herbs and spices of Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage. The tomatoes, Fontina cheese and pesto help to make this dish unbelievably good.
- 1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage Links (or Ground Italian Sausage), removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 10 slices thick sliced bread (Texas Toast)
- 5 large eggs, fried
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons pesto (or pesto mayonnaise)
- 8 ounces Fontina Cheese, cut into thick slices
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced (about 10 slices)
- 2 cups Arugula leaves (or other preferred greens), lightly packed
- Decase the sausages, and reshape the links into 5 separate patties. Cook patties in a large skillet for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side until no longer pink inside.
- Toast bread in toaster oven or on a large pan under the broiler for about 1 minute per side until lightly toasted.
- Butter the bottom of a large skillet and fry the 5 eggs to your liking. (Sunny side up, over easy, or break the yolk and then flip the egg to finish cooking.)
- On a cutting board lay out 5 of the toasted bread slices, spread each with pesto, cheese slices, 1 hot from the skillet sausage patty, 1 fried egg, 2 tomato slices and arugula. Cover each with remaining toast.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.