Toasted Brioche, Spinach & Sausage Stuffing
Servings8 - 10 servings
About this recipe
Do you love a Thanksgiving Dinner that mixes uptown ingredients and down-home deliciousness? Then we have the stuffing for you. Chewy chunks of brioche add a hint of sweetness while Johnsonville All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage offers up just the right amount of savory. It’s so good you might want to double the recipe.
- 1 package (17.64 ounces/500 g) JOHNSONVILLE® All Natural Fresh Italian MILD Ground Sausage
- 1 loaf brioche, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, core removed & coarsly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed & coarsly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread brioche cubes on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden brown (approx. 15 minutes), tossing once. Let cool completely. This step can also be done 1 day ahead; store bread in airtight container at room temperature.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and fully cooked through, approx. 8 - 10 minutes. Place cooked sausage on paper towel lined sheet and let cool.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the same skillet on medium-low heat. Add onion and fennel. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approx 10-12 minutes.
- Grease a shallow baking dish. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; add in broth and whisk. Stir in sausage, the onion-fennel mix, spinach, salt, and pepper. Add bread and toss until evenly combined and bread has absorbed the liquid. Transfer to baking dish, top with remaining butter.
- Bake until stuffing is hot and the top is golden brown; approx 40 minutes.