Toasted Brioche, Spinach & Sausage Stuffing
About this recipe
Do you love a Thanksgiving Dinner that mixes uptown ingredients and down-home deliciousness? Then we have the stuffing for you. Chewy chunks of brioche add a hint of sweetness while Johnsonville All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage offers up just the right amount of savory. It’s so good you might want to double the recipe.
Servings8 - 10 servings
- 1 package (17.64 ounces/500 g) JOHNSONVILLE® All Natural Fresh Italian MILD Ground Sausage
- 1 loaf brioche, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, core removed & coarsly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed & coarsly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread brioche cubes on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden brown (approx. 15 minutes), tossing once. Let cool completely. This step can also be done 1 day ahead; store bread in airtight container at room temperature.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and fully cooked through, approx. 8 - 10 minutes. Place cooked sausage on paper towel lined sheet and let cool.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the same skillet on medium-low heat. Add onion and fennel. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approx 10-12 minutes.
- Grease a shallow baking dish. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; add in broth and whisk. Stir in sausage, the onion-fennel mix, spinach, salt, and pepper. Add bread and toss until evenly combined and bread has absorbed the liquid. Transfer to baking dish, top with remaining butter.
- Bake until stuffing is hot and the top is golden brown; approx 40 minutes.