Three Cheese Sausage and Vegetable Pizza
Yummy!. My family loves pizza and we love Johnsonville! My family makes pizza every Saturday night so we frequently use a lot of different Johnsonville products. Make sure to slice the sausage thin, or you could use Johnsonville ground sausage. Johnsonville sausauge makes the best pizza! — Sheila
- PIZZA CRUST:
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- PIZZA TOPPING:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Premium Fully Cooked Three-Cheese Italian Style Sausage Rope, cut into rounds and then in half
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 red pepper, sliced into long slices
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Pizza Crust: Combine yeast and sugar with warm water and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add to yeast mixture: 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil. Combine wet ingredients in dry ingredients into mixer and knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth, will be a little sticky. Allow to rise for at least one hour.
- While dough is rising prepare pizza topping.
- Slice sausage into round coins and then in half. Slice onion and red pepper. Saute sliced red peppers, mushrooms, asparagus and onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil until onions are soft and vegetables begin to brown and caramelize a bit. Add in sausage pieces and saute until sausage is slightly browned and warmed through.
- After dough has risen form into a crust on a cookie sheet that has been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal or on a wooden paddle sprinkled with cornmeal and then transfer to a baking stone that has preheated in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Brush the top of crust with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Top with onions, peppers and sausage. Slice mozzarella cheese and layer over the top. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 450°F for about 12 to 14 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.