Tangy Braised Red Cabbage
Servings4 1/2 to 5 cups servings
About this recipe
Color is an excellent way to accentuate an already delicious meal, and this sausage topper recipe from Johnsonville has bold color and flavor. Red onions and red cabbage go great with apple cider, caraway seeds, dill and red wine vinegar. Season the dish with sea salt and black pepper, and you’ve got a great way to make your brat look and taste like a masterpiece!
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head (1 pound) red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook onion and caraway seeds in oil over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Add cabbage, cider, vinegar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Fold in dill and serve.
- Please note: This recipe can be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator and reheat when ready to serve.