Sweet and Savory Bruschetta
Servings6 to 8 (makes 16 pieces) servings
About this recipe
Enjoy a delicious, new way to serve up the first meal of the day! Juicy strawberries and Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage Patties combine with the fresh flavors of mint and basil to deliver bite-size pieces of perfection.
- 1 package (12 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Vermont Maple Syrup Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet pineapple, diced
- 4 ripe strawberries, stemmed and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienne (about 4 large leaves)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, julienne (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 thin baguette, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella, cut in half
- Make the bruschetta topping. In a bowl mix together the tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries, basil, mint and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Cover and set aside.
- Divide each of the 8 sausage patties in two and pinch the edges to shape into smaller patties. Cook according to package directions, set aside, Cover to keep warm.
- Place the oven rack in the top third section of the oven and set it to broil.
- Slice baguette into 16 slices (about ½ inch thick) and brush one side with olive oil. Place the baguette slice, oil side down and broil until golden for 1 to 2 minutes but watch carefully it can go from not quite golden to burnt in 15 seconds.
- Using tongs, flip the slices over so the oiled side is up. Add 1 slice of mozzarella; broil 1 minute longer until cheese is melted and edges of the baguette slices are beginning to look toasted.
- Transfer these to a serving platter, or individual plates. Top each with 1 small sausage patty. Spoon bruschetta topping over each, allowing some to spill over.