Sweet & Sassy Brat Twists
About this recipe
Piercing a brat is a big no-no...but if you do, twist it up into a flakey crust and cover it in a decadently sweet and spicy sauce for a one-of-a-kind Big Game treat.
- 6 JOHNSONVILLE® Beer ’n Brats
- 2 cans crescent dough—triangles or sheets
- 6 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons habanero-based spice rub
- 5 teaspoons water, added or removed as needed for smooth, but not watery, consistency
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 6 tablespoons canola oil or preferred cooking oil
- 6 bamboo skewers
- Preheat grill to maximum heat, then reduce to 400°F. You will use 2 zones of the charcoal grill—one side hot, the other side cool—which will give great flavor. A gas grill will also reap great results.
- Skewer the Johnsonville Brats and, using a very sharp knife, spiral cut or “accordion cut” brats by rolling them on a cutting board as you go along the entire length of the skewers.
- Sprinkle habanero-based rub over the brats, to taste.
- Cut the crescent dough into ¼-inch strips.
- Tuck the strips of crescent dough into the space between the meat of the stretched, skewered brats; pinch ends together to join pieces as needed to create brat twists.
- Brush or spray brat twists lightly with oil to keep them from sticking to the grill, and place them on the cool side of the grill; cover with grill lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine apricot preserves, brown sugar, orange juice, paprika, mustard powder, agave nectar or honey and cayenne pepper powder in a small saucepan, and heat thoroughly, adding just enough water to create a smoother consistency; remove from heat.
- Turn brat twists over, keeping them on the cool side of the grill; cook with lid down for an additional 5 minutes.
- Brush apricot glaze over brats, close the grill lid, and cook for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, ensuring crescent dough is cooked through before removing from grill to rest for about 5 minutes