Summer Sausage Hot Hoagies
About this recipe
Hoagie? Hero? Grinder? Whatever name you go by, everyone will agree when they call this sandwich fantastic! This dish uses grilled onions, red wine vinegar, sweet red peppers, and Provolone cheese to give you a taste you’ll love, but adding in Johnsonville Original Summer Sausage will give you the taste you can’t live without!
- 1 package (12 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Original Summer Sausage, cut into 24 slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hoagie or sub rolls, split
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the roasted red peppers, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- On roll bottoms, layer the summer sausage, caramelized onion mixture and cheese. Replace roll tops.
- Place hoagies on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minute or until rolls are lightly toasted and cheese is melted.