Station 25 Johnsonville Brat Pasta Stew
About this recipe
This was the runner-up recipe in the October, 2015 Firehouse Cook-off Challenge, between the Birmingham Fire & Rescue stations.
- 1 package Johnsonville® Original Brats casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red or yellow peppers, cut into 2 inch strips
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the Johnsonville Brats, stir occasionally and break into large pieces. Cook until brown, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onions and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water and broth, then add in the pasta.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook at a strong simmer, stirring often and continue cooking until the pasta is tender and the liquid has thickened, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley (optional) and serve.