Spicy Touchdown Sausage Stuffed Bites
About this recipe
Looking for the ultimate combination of cheese and spice? Well look no further. These cheese-packed, sausage-covered bites will crush any size of game-day hunger.
- 2 packages JOHNSONVILLE® Fresh Italian Hot Sausage (links or ground)
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 string-cheese sticks (Wisconsin-made)
- Sauces for dipping: marinara, stone-ground mustard, barbeque sauce and/or salsa
- Peanut oil (vegetable oil can substitute)
- Preheat pot of oil to 375°F.
- Cut up string-cheese sticks into 6 segments per stick, 24 segments total, and set aside.
- If using sausage links, remove casing and put sausage into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine sausage with baking mix, eggs and garlic powder. If needed, use hands to disperse ingredients evenly.
- Using a 1-inch scoop (around 2 tbsp), scoop sausage mixture into your hand. Make a divot with your spoon or scoop. Place a segment of string cheese into the center, and fold the sausage mixture around the cheese. Roll into a ball, making sure there are no cracks where the cheese can leak out. Place on a baking sheet and repeat.
- Place 6 to 8 bites into the deep fryer at a time, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until dark brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tailgate dipping sauce—marinara, stone-ground mustard, barbecue and/or salsa.