Southern Turkey BBQ
About this recipe
For slow-cooked sweetness on a bun, try this great recipe from Johnsonville. This dish uses Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Sausage, onions, coleslaw and your favorite barbecue sauce. The sweetness of the onions goes well with the smoked sausage and barbecue sauce. The slow-cooked ingredients give the dish a killer texture and flavor that go great with any occasion!
- 2 packages (13.5 ounces each) JOHNSONVILLE®Smoked Turkey Sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 pounds coleslaw
- 12 hoagie rolls
- Cut sausage into 1/2-inch bias slices; set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil until tender and golden.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add sausage and barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low until serving.
- Place ½ cup barbecue mixture on a roll. Top with 3 tablespoons coleslaw.
- Serve hot.