Back To Recipe
Johnsonville Smoked Sausage Lentil Soup
Easy and Delicious. Lentils are so healthy and easy to use. They balance nicely with the sausage. — Sally
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Premium Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounce) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. When oil is shimmering, add sausage slices. Saute until well-browned on both sides, stirring only occasionally. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and place pan back on heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrot and celery. Saute until onion is translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add spices, cook one minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Using a hand blender (or regular blender in batches), puree soup until it reaches desired consistency. Add sausage slices and simmer for five more minutes until sausage is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls garnished with a drizzle of crème fraiche or sour cream and finely diced celery.