Sicilian Strata (Baked Egg) with Hot Italian Sausage
Best Brunch. This is so yummy and easy AND takes the stress off of entertaining for brunch. I served this for Christmas brunch with a mixed green/kale/fennel salad. DONE! While I typically follow recipes to the letter, I used French baguettes (2) and doubled the veggies. I have made stratas and I swear the secret is assemble the night before, refrigerate, remove 20 minutes before baking... I recommend using the hot sausage or use mild and serve with some hot pepper flakes or Sriracha for those who like heat. Don't have the right size pan, buy an aluminum toss away and save time cleaning up. All around spend time with your guests not your kitchen! — Lori
Servings8 to 10 servings
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage Links (or Mild Italian Sausage or Ground Italian Sausage) removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 loaf crusty, Italian-style bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk (or 2% milk)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon (each) salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms for 4 minutes and add the bell peppers and onions. Continue sautéing for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet cook, the decased links on medium heat and crumble as it cooks, about 8 minutes. When the sausage is fully cooked, toss the veggies back into the skillet, stir to combine and remove from heat.
- In a lightly oiled 10 x 15 x 2 inch baking dish, arrange slices of bread to cover the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with half the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and half the tomatoes. Layer additional bread slices on top to cover, and top with the remaining sausage mixture and tomatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, Italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper to blend. Slowly pour egg mixture over layered ingredients. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to a day. Preheat oven to 325˚F. Bake until the center of the strata is set and top is lightly browned 50 to 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes then cut into squares and serve.