Shanghai Sausage Breakfast Bowl
About this recipe
Soba noodles for breakfast? With Johnsonville, anything’s possible! This recipe brings together chicken broth, soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, garlic and sugar for a robust breakfast broth. Add in the soba noodles, egg and Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage Links to complete the fusion of East and West. Why go the ordinary breakfast route when you can go Johnsonville?
- 2 packages (12 ounces) Johnsonville® Original Recipe Breakfast Sausage Links
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 4 inches), cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (16 ounces) Soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles) or thin spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 eggs or 1 cup liquid egg whites or egg substitute
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Cook sausage according to package directions; cut into thin bias slices and set aside.
- Separate cilantro stems and leaves. Chop leaves and reserve for garnish.
- Separate green onions into green and white sections. Slice green parts and reserve for garnish.
- In a large soup pot, combine the broth, garlic cloves, gingerroot, cilantro stems, green onions (white parts) and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 20 minutes. Strain broth. Return broth to soup pot; discard cooked vegetables and herbs.
- Return broth to a boil. Add noodles; cook according to package directions. Stir in sausage.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk eggs and milk; pour into skillet. Cook and scramble eggs until set. Remove from the heat.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon eggs on top of soup. Sprinkle with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds. Drizzle with sesame oil.