Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes
About this recipe
Fresh tomatoes are stuffed with a mixture of Johnsonville® Italian Sausage, caramelized onion, spinach, garlic and sherry for a truly one-of-a-kind taste!
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Using a sharp knife, slice ½ inch off the top of tomatoes; discard tops.
- Using a small knife and a spoon, remove pulp from tomatoes.
- Reserve 1 cup tomato pulp; chop coarsely and save for the filling.
- Invert tomato shells onto paper towels to drain.
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium-low heat until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, garlic and reserved tomato. Cook and stir over medium heat until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in the sausage, sherry and pepper. Cool slightly; stir in egg.
- Place tomato shells in a 2 quart baking dish. Fill shells with sausage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for 35 to 40 minutes or until hot.