Sausage & Mushroom Risotto with Smoked Mozzarella
About this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Chef Fabio Viviani
- 1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild, Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padano cheese or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook sausage according to package directions. Remove from skillet; cut into ¼-inch slices and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until tender and lightly browned.
- Add Arborio rice; stir and toast for about 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- Fold in the sausage, Grana Padano cheese, mozzarella cheese and butter. Stir until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!