About this recipe
Be transported to your favorite Italian countryside with a little help from Johnsonville! This traditional Italian dish is already great by itself: crisp bread flavored with garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, salt and pepper. What makes this dish truly memorable is the use of Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage Slices. The Italian seasonings of the sausage really make the flavors come together for a fantastic, authentic taste.
- 2-1/2 cups Johnsonville® Sweet or Mild Italian Sausage Slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 slices French baguette or Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, basil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and set aside.
- Brush one side of bread slices with oil and place oil side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- While bread is toasting, heat sausage slices according to package directions.
- Remove bread from oven and turn over. Top with sausage, tomato mixture and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.