Sausage and Basil Baked Ziti
Amazingly good. Given that it uses a jarred tomato basil sauce and is also very simple to prepare, I was skeptical. But amazingly enough, this family of foodies with very high recipe standards loves this dish! I also serve it to my teenagers friends, and they all love it too...boys and girls. Now I keep pans of it in the freezer....perfect for taking to another family, covered dish supper or an easy weeknight dinner at home. It is one of my favorite go to recipes now. Great job, Johnsonville! — Kim Whitley
- 1 package (19 ounces) Johnsonville® Fresh Italian Mild Sausage Links, casings removed or (16 ounces) Johnsonville® All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage
- 8 ounces ziti or penne pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 jar (24 ounces) Classico® Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomato and basil sauce; heat through and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Fold pasta into cheese mixture.
- In a greased 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish, layer half of the pasta mixture and half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.