Sausage and Basil Baked Ziti
Amazing!!. Whenever I make this meal the dinner table is so quiet you can hear a pin drop! This is everyone's favorite meal. I've used a variety of different meats, depending on what I have on hand, and it still tastes great!!! — Lauren Rogerson
- 1 package (19 ounces) Johnsonville® Fresh Italian Mild Sausage Links, casings removed or (16 ounces) Johnsonville® All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage
- 8 ounces ziti or penne pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 jar (24 ounces) Classico® Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomato and basil sauce; heat through and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Fold pasta into cheese mixture.
- In a greased 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish, layer half of the pasta mixture and half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.