Back To Recipe
Sausage Appetizer Loaves
Servings24 (3 loaves) servings
About this recipe
Great for holidays, entertaining or a quick family meal, these loaves are perfect for making ahead and freezing. Great hearty appetizers anytime!
- 1 package (12 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Original Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 6 thin slices of Provolone cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, chopping into small pieces.
- Add onion and peppers. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes longer or until sausage is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion into a 10-inch x 5-inch rectangle.
- Layer each with 2 cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with sausage mixture to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Seal seams and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut 6 shallow diagonal slits in top of each loaf.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.