Sausage and Potato Skillet Casserole with Gruyere Cheese
Poorly Written. I made the recipe as written and the "sauce" was a gooey gloppy mess. Way too much flour for the amount of butter and cream. I had to keep adding liquid to try to actually thin it out enough to use. In the end I couldn't save it. Won't be making this again. — mrsneutron
- 10 to 12 New Potatoes, roughly 1 pound, cut into large pieces
- 1 package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Fully Cooked Sausage, cut into ¾-inch slices (favorite flavor)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Add potatoes and cook until just softened and tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, use a deep skillet over medium heat lightly brown Sausages, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet onto clean plate. In same skillet, add butter and flour. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir to make a roux. Pour in heavy cream and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add in grated cheese, thyme, rosemary and salt. When smooth and thick, remove sauce to clean bowl.
- Return sausage, cheese sauce and potatoes to skillet and stir to combine. Season as needed with salt and pepper.
- If desired, top with additional grated Gruyere.