Reuben Sandwich -- Sizzling Sausage Grill Recipe
About this recipe
Looking for a new take on the standard Reuben? Try using Johnsonville Original Brats and give the corned beef a rest. This fantastic brats will be a great mate with the rye bread, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing.
- 2 JOHNSONVILLE® Original Brats
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, well drained, (preferably refrigerated style)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Grill Brats on the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Grill (or your favorite cooking method). Let cool slightly; cut into ¼-inch bias slices.
- Butter each slice of bread on one side only. Build the sandwich in a 10 to 12 inch cold skillet.
- Place 2 slices, butter side down in the skillet. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon of the dressing.
- Then top each of the two slices with ¼ cup of sauerkraut (more if desired) spread it out evenly to cover the dressing.
- Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on top of the sauerkraut.
- Top with Brat slices.
- Spread another 1 tablespoon of dressing on the dry side of the last 2 slices of bread and place it dressing side down and butter side up, over the Brats.
- Place the skillet over medium-low heat and grill the sandwich slowly. Grill until the bread is toasted and crisp and the cheese is starting to melt. Press down gently on the sandwich.
- Carefully turn the sandwich over to grill the other side. Grill until the sandwich is nicely toasted on both sides and the cheese is melted. Remove from pan and serve immediately.
- * A panini press can be used in place of the skillet.