Quarterback Sneak Mandarin Mustard Brats
About this recipe
Ever wanted to bite into summer during your game day party? That’s theoretically not possible. However, these citrus-topped brats are possibly the most refreshing snack for any partygoer.
- 1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Beer ’n Brats
- 3 (12 ounces) light beers
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 14 - 16 mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup mandarin pepper marmalade*
- 1/8 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 sweet French rolls
- In a Dutch oven, sauté one yellow onion in butter. When the onions are translucent, add brats and pour beer over top. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add more beer if it evaporates before brats are fully cooked.
- While the brats simmer, make the mandarin mustard and mandarin topping. Combine the various mustards, mandarin pepper marmalade, seasoned rice wine vinegar and black pepper, then whisk. Test to see if more vinegar is needed, adding 1 tsp at a time until satisfied. It should taste mandarin-mustardy. For the topping, peel and dice 5 mandarin oranges.
- Sauté the second yellow onion and sliced red pepper. When the brats are fully cooked, place them over indirect heat on the grill. Grill brats for several minutes on each side.
- Serve the brats on a French roll, adding mandarin mustard, a layer of onions and peppers and fresh mandarins on top. If desired, add another squirt or two of mandarin mustard and enjoy.
- *Combine orange marmalade and sautéed spicy peppers to make the mandarin pepper marmalade.