Pasta Marinara with Italian Red Wine & Cheese Sausage
Needs some spice. This was good, but needed more flavor. The sausage is very mild, so I might do it again with one of the other Italian sausages, maybe spicey. The red wine and cheese sausage is too mild. Also, after cooking the vegetables and mushrooms, drain the water from pan before adding the sausage and marinara. The water from 8 ounces of mushroomes waters down the marinara a lot. — Michael
- 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Red Wine & Cheese Sausage
- 1 pound Barilla® Penne pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced and quartered
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 cup cubed eggplant
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 package (8 ounce) sliced mushrooms
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounce) Barilla® marinara sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions and keep warm.
- Cook sausage according package directions using the skillet method. Slice on bias ½-inch thick. Set aside.
- In the same skillet used to cook the sausage, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, squash, pepper, eggplant, onion, and mushrooms. Sauté 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the garlic, and cook another minute. Add the sausage and marinara; heat through stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked pasta.