Pappardelle with Sizzled Italian Sausage and Mushrooms
Cj. The best, such an easy, delicious recipe. I added sliced onions and green bell pepper (about 1\2 cup each) when I browned the mushrooms. Left the rest of recipe as listed. Must Try! — Cathy
- 1 pound JOHNSONVILLE® Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound small or medium white or Cremini mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic; finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes; to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper; to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 package (16 ounces) 6 inch square egg roll pasta
- 1 small handful of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley; roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter; room temperature
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano; to taste
- Put the oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps, until no more pink shows. Transfer with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet and return to heat.
- Brush off any dirt from the mushrooms with a pastry brush or a dish towel. Cut mushrooms into quarters and add to the remaining hot oil in the skillet. Let them fry fast, tossing once only after the edges are browned.
- Add the garlic and pepper flakes with a pinch of salt. Return sausage to skillet and continue to fry fast, tossing regularly. Then turn the heat off and squeeze in the lemon juice. Toss, taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut egg roll pasta squares into 1-1/2 inch wide strips (4 strips each square) and cook in boiling salted water 3 to 4 min., just until al dente.
- Drain and add to the sausage and mushrooms with the Parmesan, parsley and butter. Toss gently, coating the pasta with the mushrooms and their flavor.
- Serve, scraping out all of the last bits of mushroom from the skillet, and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.