Original Holiday Stuffing
About this recipe
If you like your Thanksgiving turkey to take center stage, consider a stuffing that’s happy to play a supporting role: our Original Holiday Stuffing. A classic in every sense of the word, this perfect side dish features Johnsonville Original Bratwurst – and will have you dreaming of holidays past with every delicious bite.
- 1 package (500 g/17.64 oz) JOHNSONVILLE® Original Bratwurst (casings removed)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 12 cups unseasoned bread stuffing, cubed
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 2 tbsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown and cook crumbled sausage until browned. Drain. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and sauté onion, celery and green pepper until tender.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine sausage, vegetable mixture, bread stuffing and seasonings.
- Add eggs and broth; toss gently.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a buttered 3 to 4 quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325° for 60 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.