Back To Recipe
"My Tuscan Kitchen" Burgers with Olive Peperoncini Tapenade and Honey Balsamic Rocket
About this recipe
Finalist of the 2012 Johnsonville No Ordinary Burger Contest.
- 6 Johnsonville® Sweet Italian Sausage Grillers
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Basil Pesto (Purchased)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pitted Mixed Italian Olives (or Kalamata Olives)
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Mild Pickled Peperoncini (Stems and Seeds Removed)
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Golden Raisins
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts (or Almonds)
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Divided Use
- 1 tablespoon Quality Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 3 cups Baby or Young Rocket Leaves (Arugula), Packed
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese (About 4 Ounces Total)
- 6 each Quality Focaccia or Ciabatta Rolls, Split
- 1 each Large Ripe Tomato, Ends Trimmed and Cut into 6 Slices (Use a Garden-Fresh, Juicy Red Heirloom Tomato if Available)
- To prepare pesto aioli, combine mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl; mix well and set aside.
- To prepare tapenade, combine olives, peperoncini, raisins, pine nuts, parsley and 1 tablespoon olive oil; mix well and set aside.
- To prepare rocket (arugula), whisk remaining olive oil, balsamic and honey to blend; drizzle over rocket and toss gently.
- Prepare gas grill for medium-low heat. With closed lid, grill burgers over medium-low heat until cooked through, turning as necessary.
- During last 2 minutes of grilling, top each with slice of cheese. Place rolls on grill, cut sides down, until very lightly toasted.
- Spread aioli on cut sides of rolls. Using half of the rocket, divide evenly on bottoms of rolls; top each with a tomato slice.
- Top with sausage burger, cheese side up. Evenly top each with tapenade and remaining rocket.
- Finish with roll tops.