Back To Recipe
Servings12 cups, serves 6-8 servings
5 star. Very good — kenneth butler
(19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (use mild links for a less spicy chili)
*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (use mild chili powder for less spicy chili)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) black beans
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) red kidney beans
- 1-1/2 cups corn (frozen or fresh off the cob)
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bottle (12 ounce) dark beer (OK to substitute w/light beer or 1 cup beef stock)
- salt and pepper
- Decase the sausage and sauté in a large pot; use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is nicely browned, stir in the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and continue cooking until the onion softens about 5 minutes.
- Add the beer and allow it to simmer for an additional 5 minutes scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and allow it to simmer, uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes on med-low, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Finally stir in the beans and the corn.
- Let this come to a simmer and it’s ready to serve!
- (Can be prepared a day ahead.)