Morning Terrace Pizza
About this recipe
That cold crust of late night pizza is no longer an excuse for breakfast. Johnsonville takes the idea of portable breakfast and classes it up with this delicious pizza recipe. Eggs, cheese, sausage, and tomatoes take center stage to help start your day off right.
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 10-12” baguette, cut in two and sliced open, inside dough removed
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1-1/2 cups Fontina, mozzarella or Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- dried red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Bertolli® Extra Light in Taste Olive Oil
- 4 eggs, whole
- pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut baguette in half and then slice it open to create four equal open-faced pieces. Remove the doughy center, leaving a half inch border close to the edge.
- In a large skillet, heat Bertolli Extra Light in Taste Olive Oil and sauté sausage until browned. Remove from heat, thinly coin slice and set aside. (Always cook sausage to internal temperature of 160°F.)
- Top the baguettes evenly with 3/4 of the shredded Fontina cheese.
- Shake on red pepper flakes to taste.
- Place sausage pieces evenly on top around the edges.
- Add the rest of the Fontina and the diced tomatoes.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes and remove from oven.
- Using the back of a spoon, lightly make 4 indentations in the center of the baguettes not too close to the crust, pushing some of the ingredients to the sides.
- Carefully crack an egg into each depression. Grind pepper on each egg, and top with Parmesan Cheese.
- Return to the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the egg whites are set, but the yolk is still soft.
- Remove, sprinkle with fresh chives, cut and enjoy!
- For the finishing touch, drizzle with Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil before cutting.