Minestrone Soup with Italian Sausage
Servings6 to 8 servings
Yum! My picky eaters give it a thumbs up!. This recipe was hearty and flavorful. I made a few modifications using what I had on hand: I used tomato sauce instead of paste, reconstituted the broth from bouillon, and used 2 tablespoons of dried Italian Seasoning instead of the fresh and dried spices, and left off the salt. Other than that, I followed the recipe as published. I served it with yeast rolls and garnished with Parmesan cheese. It does make a large pot full, and my family of four (two adults and two small children) ended up with a lot of leftovers. Next time I might try to freeze a portion or cut the recipe in half. But, I will be making this again! — Carldine
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage links
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise then1/4 inch slices
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pasta, small size, short macaroni or mini bowtie, uncooked
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Cook the sausage links in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. After 4 to 5 minutes, turn the sausages, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer the sausages to a cutting board and allow to cool before coin slicing.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil to the same large soup pot. Cook the garlic, carrots and onion until wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage, zucchini, potato, both stocks and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add 2 tablespoons of the parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and salt to taste. Simmer uncovered over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sausage, beans, tomatoes, and pasta, simmer until the pasta is done (about 8 minutes).
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.