Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
About this recipe
This dish takes the traditional casserole and adds in elements of Mexican cuisine and your favorite breakfast ingredients. Onions, bell peppers, garlic, green chilies and cilantro add bold, authentic flavors to the dish. For a tasty bonus, crushed tortillas are used to give this recipe a fun and playful texture. Together with eggs and Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links, you’ve got a winning combination that’ll take the boredom out of breakfast.
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) JOHNSONVILLE® Original Recipe Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced mild green chilies
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 10 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sausage according to package directions; cut into small pieces and set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender. Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the sausage and chilies; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the Cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, green onion and cilantro.
- Arrange one-third of the tortilla chips over the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Layer with half of the sausage mixture and half of the cheese mixture; repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and hot pepper sauce; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining tortilla chips.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.