Mediterranean Pasta with Johnsonville Italian Sausage
Fresh & Yummy. I substituted a few items I didn't have on hand.. note to self: Pull up the recipe & add ingredients to grocery list. Here are my subs: I used 3 small tomatoes from my garden, rough diagonal chop; No sun dried tomatoes; Green bell pepper instead of red; Basil, I used 1tbsp dry basil leaves, 1 cup fresh spinach leaves both mixed into mixture; Feta cheese, I used 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese poured & mixed into mixture & sprinkled on top; Mild sausage, I used hot instead (that's all store had) it wasn't even hot.. more like spicy, but not much heat; Olives, I used a small can of drained sliced black olives; Pasta, I used regular spaghetti. I broke the noodles in half before adding to boiling water. Bottom line, this recipe gives for much flexibility if you need to make substitutions & additions. The finished product was very tasty! My husband had 3rds! It's definitely a comfort food. I highly recommend this dish, and will make it again. — Christie
Servings4 to 6 servings
- 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (julienne-cut packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 jar (6 ounce) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 pound (1/2 of a 1 pound box) bowtie pasta, cooked
- 4 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled (can substitute parmesan other favorite cheese)
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh Basil leaves, chopped (lightly packed, about 1 ounce)
- Prep all the ingredients before starting to cook sausages.
- Spray a skillet with cooking oil. Add sausages. Cook over medium-high heat, until browned (about 5 minutes), turning links often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Carefully add ½ cup water to skillet. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer cooked sausages to a cutting board. Allow to cool slightly then coin slice and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet clean add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Over medium heat add chopped onion and allow to cook for 5 minutes until just softened.
- Add red pepper, grape tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and stir together for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, artichoke hearts, crushed garlic, cooked pasta, and sliced sausages, stir to combine and heat the ingredients all the way through, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl toss with crumbled feta, Romano cheese and fresh basil. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.