Classic Pizza Margherita
About this recipe
This pizza takes the Margherita flavor—a combination of tomatoes, basil, and Mozzarella cheese—and gives it a Johnsonville upgrade! The Mild Italian Sausage Links are beautifully spiced to give this pizza favorite a more filling flavor. The addition of garlic, parsley, and oregano truly takes the Margherita pizza to new heights.
Servings4 to 6 servings
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 package pizza dough, refrigerated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- sea salt and pepper
- 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced (divided-save 10 slices for the top)
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 10 fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Position oven rack on lowest shelf and preheat to 425°F.
- Lightly oil a pizza pan. Roll out dough as thin as possible. Let rest 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and sauté sausage until browned. Always cook sausage to internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from pan and coin slice.
- In the same pan, sauté onion and parsley to golden, then stir in garlic and oregano for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes to pan, crushing them as they are mixed (do not substitute crushed tomatoes). Boil, stirring 5 minutes or until thick.
- Spread sauce over crust, sprinkle with half the basil, Mozzarella, Fontina, sausage, the remaining slices of tomatoes and finally the olive oil. Finish with generous pepper and a little sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Using a spatula and an oven mitt, slip the pizza off the pan directly onto the oven rack, bake for two minutes.
- Slip pizza back onto pan, remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with the remaining fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, cut and enjoy!