Italian Sausage Stuffing
This is our new 'traditional' stuffing. I made this stuffing a few years ago and tested it out on family---they loved it and insisted I make this every year. I have and it always gets great reviews from friends and family. — Dorothy
- 1 pkg. (19 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian Mild Sausage Links, casings removed or 1 pkg. (16 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian All Natural Mild Ground Sausage
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cups unseasoned bread stuffing, cubed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) black olives, sliced & drained
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, minced
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- In large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Remove from skillet; set aside. In the same skillet, melt butter.
- Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender.
- In a very large bowl, combine the cubed stuffing, sausage, celery mixture, cheese, olives and seasonings.
- Add broth and eggs; toss to combine.
- Spoon into a buttered 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°F for 1 hour.
- Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.