Italian Sausage Stuffing
A Thanksgiving Tradition. I tried this recipe several years ago and now Thanksgiving is not complete without the Italian Sausage Stuffing. My only concession is to leave out the green bell peppers, but otherwise, everything is according to the original recipe. OUTSTANDING IN EVERY RESPECT. When I take this dish to any gathering, I get rave reviews and requests for the recipe. — Suzan Douglas
- 1 pkg. (19 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian Mild Sausage Links, casings removed or 1 pkg. (16 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian All Natural Mild Ground Sausage
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cups unseasoned bread stuffing, cubed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) black olives, sliced & drained
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, minced
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- In large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Remove from skillet; set aside. In the same skillet, melt butter.
- Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender.
- In a very large bowl, combine the cubed stuffing, sausage, celery mixture, cheese, olives and seasonings.
- Add broth and eggs; toss to combine.
- Spoon into a buttered 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°F for 1 hour.
- Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.