Italian Sausage Market Meatloaf
Servings4 to 6 servings
huge hit!. I just prepared it last night and it was a huge hit. I left out the onion, because I have allergies, and substituted grated lemon rind and lemon juice. Tasted terrific! — Martie
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 3/4 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper, finely chopped (ok to use green bell)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or defrosted frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 slices Provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine ½ cup of the chili sauce with the water. Add the oats, egg, chili powder, Worcestershire, and mix well.
- Add the decased sausage and the ground turkey or beef. Add the bell pepper, onion and corn and mix well.
- Divide the meat mixture in half. Lay half the meat mixture in a lightly greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. (Bertolli® Extra Light in Taste Olive Oil is perfect for greasing.)
- Create a shallow indent in the meat allowing the edges to rise along the edge of the pan. Layer the provolone and the spinach leaves on top of the meat along the center, staying about ½ inch away from the edges. Cover completely with the 2nd half of the meat mixture forming a domed top and sealing the edges.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
- Spread the remaining ¼ cup chili sauce over the top of the loaf and bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 165°F. About 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Allow the loaf to stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.