Italian Sausage Deep Dish Pizza
Delicious. Flavor was fantastic, the problem I had was It never really solidified enough to cut nice slices. Not sure what I did wrong, it just kind of oozed into the spot where I removed one piece. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. — Wayne K
Servings4 to 6 servings
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild or Hot Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 13.2 ounces Pillsbury Country Italian Bread Refrigerated Dough (Can use two 1 pound bags of another favorite brand or homemade)
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese (about ½ pound)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) pizza sauce
- Cook sausages in skillet according to package directions. Cool slightly, coin slice and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add olive oil and green pepper slices. Cook until soft and lightly caramelized, 5 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers to a bowl. In the same pan, sauté mushrooms for 5 to 7 minutes to brown slightly and release some of the moisture.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of two 9 inch diameter deep dish pans. (Can use 9 inch round straight edged cake pans.)
- Sprinkle the cornmeal on the bottom of each pan.
- Remove the dough from its package unroll it and using your fingers, spread it on the bottom and up the sides of the pan folding it over and pressing it in place as necessary.
- Place 3 slices of provolone cheese as the first layer on top of the dough in each pizza pie. Top the provolone with the mozzarella and shredded Parmesan.
- Spread about ¾ cup of the pizza sauce on each pizza, top with bell peppers, mushrooms, olives and coin sliced sausage, dividing evenly.
- Bake the pizzas until the crusts are golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.