Italian Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Pepper
So Much Flavor!. Our daughter is on medication that prohibits her from eating greens. Tried this with red peppers and it was so good. It's now a favorite. 5 stars - Definitely! — fran
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped ¼”
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Quinoa* (follow package directions, about ¾ cup dry) *Quinoa is a nutritious whole grain currently found in most supermarkets. Quinoa can be substituted with rice or couscous.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 medium bell peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds** (optional) **Tip: Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring and shaking pan constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Immediately transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Cook Quinoa according to package directions, (yield 1 ½ cups).
- Sauté the decased sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the sausage as it cooks until its nicely browned and no longer pink, breaking up any of the large pieces, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and red bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms, sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat then add in parsley, cooked Quinoa, paprika, sausage and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stuff bell peppers with sausage mixture, dividing equally and gently packing the mixture down. Arrange upright in prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until peppers are tender.
- If desired, serve topped with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.