Hot Italian Sausage and Shrimp with Asiago Grits
So Good!. Although this was somewhat time consuming to prepare it was well worth it. My four year old cleared her plate and my mother declared it one of her new favorite recipes. I will definitely be preparing this again. — Joan
Servings4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned grits
- 1/3 cup Asiago Cheese, shredded (can substitute fresh grated Parmesan)
- SAUSAGE and SHRIMP:
- 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage, coin sliced
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian OlivExtra® Premium oil blend
- 1/2 pound medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Red Gold® diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn (cut off the cob or frozen)
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Gourmet Garden garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- For the Grits:
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and milk to a gentle boil and slowly whisk in grits.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- While the grits are cooking prepare the sausage and shrimp.
- When the grits are done, stir in the Asiago cheese. Keep them warm and continue to stir until ready to serve. (Grits cannot be made ahead of time.)
- For the Sausage and Shrimp:
- Cook coin sliced sausage in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat for about 10 to 12 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Add olive oil to the hot skillet and cook the shrimp, turning until cooked through about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red pepper, corn, green onions, garlic, and if desired, Cajun seasoning and water and cook another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage and heat through.
- Spoon grits into individual bowls and top with sausage and shrimp mixture.