Holiday Brat Stuffing
Best Stuffing Ever. This is the best recipe ever. My mother discovered this recipe in the Sheboygan press 30 years ago. We have made this recipe every year since.It has become one of those family traditions that will not cease. Thank You Johnsonville for sharing this recipe and being part of our Holiday family traditions. — Brian Zeleznikar
- 1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Brats, casings removed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 12 cups unseasoned bread stuffing, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown and cook crumbled sausage until no longer pink. Drain. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter ansd sauté onion, celery and green pepper until tender.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine sausage, vegetable mixture, bread stuffing and seasonings.
- Add eggs and broth; toss gently.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a buttered 3 to 4 quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325° for 60 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer, it should read 165°F when done.