Hearty Sausage Chili
About this recipe
This robust yet simple chili recipe boasts a great flavor and finish. The hints of basil and Italian herbs come through with the use of Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage as its main ingredient, making a second helping a must. Good luck topping this one!
Servings16 (8 ounce) servings
- 1 package (19 ounces) Johnsonville® Fresh Italian Sweet Sausage Links, casings removed
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) Great northern beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- season to taste with salt
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Chopped green onions, shredded Cheddar cheese and sour cream
- Soak beans ahead according to package directions.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, crumble and cook sausage until no longer pink and lightly browned.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic and continue to cook until tender.
- Add seasonings, water and presoaked beans that have been drained; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-½ house or until beans are tender.
- After 45 minutes of cooking, add tomatoes, tomato juice and bourbon. (Please note: check chili often, additional water may be needed as beans cook and absorb moisture).
- Garnish with green onion, Cheddar cheese and sour cream. Serve.