Grown Up Mac & Cheese
Good -- but I'l make a change next time . . .. Really enjoyed this, but while the panko breadcrumbs provided a very satisfying crunch, to me they are virtually without flavor. Would recommend substituting crushed Ritz crackers or crushed pretzel crackers or croutons or some other crunchy topping with more flavor than panko. Kinda mystified as to why so many recipes use panko when it's so incredibly bland. To me it is, at least. — Dana
- 1 package (13.5 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Premium Fully Cooked Smoked or Three Cheese Italian Style Sausage Rope, quartered and sliced.
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked whole grain elbow macaroni
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) processed American cheese, cubed
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Mix panko, parsley, and olive oil together in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni and sausage.
- Transfer to a greased 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish or a 3-quart oven proof skillet. Spread panko mixture on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Enjoy!