Grilled Pesto Pizza
Submitted by: The Kitchen at Johnsonville Sausage
Whoever said less is more hasn’t tried this pizza! Using the classic pesto as the foundation, Johnsonville piles on the flavor with delicious Italian Sausage Links, peppers, greens, and mushrooms to make a truly light and refreshing pizza dish. Enjoy making your own pizza dough with this recipe and create a dish that’s truly homemade.
- Servings: 4-6
Grilled Pesto Pizza
What you need
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot or Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted green peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup micro greens, pea shoots, or other baby greens
- 1/2 bunch basil, torn
- 1 medium red onion, wedged
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Prepare the dough: Whisk 1 cup warm water (about 105°F) and the sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over top. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in olive oil.
- 2 Whisk the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, pour in the yeast mixture and stir to make a shaggy dough.
- 3 Place dough on a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic, adding just enough flour to prevent it from sticking.
- 4 Form into a ball, place in a large oiled bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Turn seam-side down and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature, about 1 hour 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- 5 Meanwhile, preheat a grill to medium high (if using a charcoal grill, bank the coals to one side) and grill the toppings.
- 6 Add vegetables to grill, cook until tender or:
- 7 Onion: Cut 1 medium red onion into 8 wedges. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning, until soft, about 10 minutes; slice.
- 8 Mushrooms: Toss 8 ounces stemmed shiitake mushrooms with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning, until soft, about 2 minutes per side; cut in half.
- 9 Remove and arrange the grilled vegetables on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Add the remaining toppings to the baking sheet; place near the grill.
- 10 Grill Sausage, remove and coin slice. Always cook sausage to internal temperature of 160°F
- 11 Reduce the grill heat to medium-low (on a charcoal grill, spread the coals into a single layer and let cool until they are covered in a light gray ash).
- 12 Divide the dough in half and dust the dough and work surface with flour. Roll each piece into a 7 x 12 inch rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- 13 Brush baking sheet with olive oil and place both crusts on it. Lift each piece by the corners and place on the grill, oiled-side down; cook about five minutes until the dough puffs and the underside is stiff and marked.
- 14 Flip the dough with tongs, brush with olive oil, spread with the pesto sauce and top with mozzarella. Arrange the grilled vegetables and sliced sausage on top.
- 15 Cover and cook about five more minutes or until the cheese melts.
- 16 Remove pizzas from grill and transfer the pizzas to a cutting board. Top with the greens, basil, a drizzle of olive oil and salt. Cut and enjoy!
Review Writing Tips
Not all reviews are created equal. While you may have a strong opinion about our products and recipes, make sure your review comes out strong as well.
Here are some tips to help you write a good review.
- Be correct. Make sure the review your submitting is for the right product or recipe.
- Be clear. Use specific words to describe your opinion. Move beyond using "good" or "bad" when reviewing a product or recipe-while they help share your opinion, they don't give specifics.
- Be clean. Keep the tone respectful. Offensive, disrespectful language is never tolerated.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Your satisfaction encourages us to always strive for the best.CLOSE